Were You the Victim of Campus Sexual Assault?

Sexual assault on college campuses happens more often than any of us would like to believe. Too often, schools look the other way, especially when the accusations involve athletes, coaches or prominent faculty members. This can leave the victim feeling victimized a second time.

At Tremont Sheldon Robinson Mahoney P.C. in Bridgeport, we have dedicated a significant portion of our law practice to representing victims of sexual abuse. Our attorneys have successfully held boarding schools and other educational institutions accountable when they failed to protect students. If you were sexually assaulted at a college, call us at 203-212-9075 for a free case evaluation. Our lawyers represent clients throughout Connecticut.

Criminal and Civil Remedies for Victims of Sexual Assault

If you have been sexually assaulted on a college campus, your attacker may be subject to criminal charges. If the institution was negligent in handling your sexual assault case, you may also have a civil case against the institution.

Colleges may be negligent if they:

  • Fail to report cases of sexual assault to police
  • Fail to follow the school’s own sexual assault policies
  • Fail to conduct appropriate background checks on teachers and staff, who may use their positions of authority to abuse students

Teacher-Student Relationships and Sexual Assault

A sexual relationship between a student and a professor is not the same as a relationship between two consenting adults. Even if you are over 18, your professor is in a position of authority over you. Pressuring you for sex may be considered sexual harassment. You may have a cause of action against the school in this case.

For More Information About Campus Sexual Assault

We understand the concerns of individuals and families about reporting sexual abuse. We are adept at protecting the privacy interests of our clients while holding abusers accountable. Our attorneys are experienced, compassionate and professional when representing our clients. We create an environment where clients can feel safe and confident in our ability to see that justice is done.

Talk to our attorneys about what happened. We’ll tell you how we can help and what we can do to protect you throughout the duration of your case. Call us now at 203-212-9075 or contact us online.

Child Sexual Abuse Frequently Asked Questions

How Do You Prove a Molestation Case?

A. Child sexual abuse can take many forms and be difficult to prove, especially if the physical injuries are no longer present. However, many physicians and behavioral specialists are able to spot the warning signs of sexual abuse in children and can help build a strong case against the abuser. Our lawyers are experienced in working with the right experts to help with your claim.

Can You Sue a Teacher for Sexual Abuse?

A. Yes. Teachers can be held liable in a civil claim for sexual abuse against minor students. Like with all civil claims for child sexual abuse, it is important to work with an attorney right away to make sure all evidence is collected and documented to help build your case.

What Are My Legal Rights if I Was Sexually Abused as a Child?

A. Our lawyers represent victims who were sexually abused as children (under the age of 18). The law only allows victims to bring a claim up until the age of 48. Do not wait to learn about your legal options if you were the victim of sexual abuse as a minor.

Why Choose Us?

A. We have more than 50 years of experience handling personal injury and abuse cases at Tremont Sheldon Robinson Mahoney P.C. Our firm only handles personal injury cases. Why does this matter? You wouldn’t go to an eye doctor for a foot problem — just like you shouldn’t go to a full-service law firm for your personal injury case. All we do is personal injury cases, and our success in these cases is proven by our history and record.

What is the statute of limitations with regard to filing a sexual abuse claim?

A. Victims who claim damages for sexual abuse, sexual assault or sexual exploitation as a child can file a claim up to 30 years past the age of abuse (typically until the age of 48) in Connecticut.

However, if you claim damages as a result of being sexually assaulted as an adult, then you have a much shorter time period in which to file a lawsuit. Typically, you have three years from the date of the assault to file against the perpetrator for his or her intentional acts and two years from the date of the assault to file against any other person or entity (e.g., perpetrator’s employer) who may have been negligent in allowing the perpetrator to have contact with you.

If there is a criminal case presently pending against the perpetrator, can I still file a civil suit?

A. Yes. The two cases can proceed at the same time, but there may be reasons to wait, if possible, until the criminal case concludes.

What is the difference between criminal and civil cases? Is there a different burden of proof?

A. Many people know that the burden of proof (or evidence needed to prove the case) in a criminal case is beyond a reasonable doubt. Criminal cases require a very high standard because being found guilty of a crime is at stake as well as the potential to go to jail. In a civil case, no one is accused of a crime and cannot be found guilty. Instead, the question in a civil case is whether a person was negligent and responsible for damages to another. The burden of proof in a civil case is lower (easier to prove) than in a criminal case. The standard to win a case is “more likely than not” that the person was at fault, or proof of just over 50 percent responsible.

The perpetrator is now dead. Can I still file a claim?

A. Yes. A claim can be filed against the estate of the perpetrator. However, there are very strict and short time restrictions for doing so.

I do not want my identity revealed. Is there a way that I can file a claim and remain anonymous?

A. You can ask permission from the court to file your case under a pseudonym (e.g., Jane Doe or John Doe). It is up to the judge to grant or deny your request.

Who are mandated reporters of suspected child abuse?

A. Under Connecticut law, the following people are mandated reporters of suspected child abuse: doctors; nurses; medical examiners; dentists; dental hygienists; psychologists; coaches; school teachers; school principals; school guidance counselors; school paraprofessionals; social workers; police officers; juvenile or adult probation and parole officers; members of the clergy; pharmacists; physical therapists; optometrists; chiropractors; podiatrists; mental health professionals; physician’s assistants; certified EMT providers; certified drug and alcohol counselors; licensed marital and family therapists; sexual assault and battered women’s counselors; paid child care providers in public or private facilities; child day care centers; licensed group and family day care centers; employees of the Department of Children and Families or the Department of Public Health if responsible for licensing day care centers, homes, or youth camps; and employees of the Office of the Child Advocate, including designated Child Advocates.

Any person so identified who in the course of his or her employment or profession has reasonable cause to believe or suspect that a child has been abused or neglected or has been inflicted with non-accidental injuries or is at imminent risk of serious harm must report or cause a report to be made in accordance with state law. Violation of the law will result in a monetary fine and required participation in an educational and training program. See Connecticut General Statutes Sections 17-101(b); 17a-101a.