Abuse in Youth Sports Leagues
Protecting Children From Sexual Predators
Children are becoming involved in youth sports leagues at younger and younger ages. As parents, we trust that the coaches, assistants and volunteers in these leagues have the safety of our kids in mind. Unfortunately, some sports leagues do not do everything they should to protect children from sexual predators.
At Tremont Sheldon P.C. in Bridgeport, Connecticut, our lawyers have dedicated a significant portion of our law practice to representing the victims of sexual abuse. If your child was sexually abused while participating in a youth sports league, call us at 203-212-9075 for a free initial consultation. Our lawyers represent clients throughout Connecticut.
Stopping Sexual Abuse in Youth Sports Leagues
Youth sports leagues, travel teams and other organized youth activities provide many benefits for our children. However, these leagues must be held responsible if they create an environment that allows children to be sexually abused. Examples of negligence include:
- Allowing coaches, assistants and volunteers to have access to children in unsupervised settings
- Failing to follow the league’s own policies to prevent sexual abuse
- Failure to report inappropriate contact between children and adults
Sexual predators often seek positions where they can have access to children. Parents and staff members need to be vigilant for signs of sexual abuse such as grooming of children, inappropriate physical and verbal contacts, and inappropriate text messages.
There are few crimes more heinous than sexual abuse of a child. Our goal in pursuing these cases is twofold:
- To help children receive the counseling and other services they need to survive sexual abuse
- To hold youth sports leagues financially accountable when they fail to protect children from sexual predators
For More Information About Sexual Abuse in Youth Sports Leagues
Please contact the sexual abuse survivor attorneys at Tremont Sheldon P.C. for a confidential and sensitive evaluation of your case. Our lawyers handle cases of sexual abuse in schools, churches and other settings.