Protecting Victims of Negligent Security

Businesses in Bridgeport and throughout Connecticut have a responsibility to take reasonable steps to protect the public and their customers from crime. Unfortunately, we all know that people visiting or walking through residential complexes, gas stations, night clubs, parking garages and retail stores can be targeted by criminals.

When an accident occurs and you are hurt or are left grieving the death of a loved one, the public or private property owner could be legally responsible for monetary compensation. Our attorneys at Tremont Sheldon P.C. take on these difficult premises liability cases.

Holding Property Owners Accountable for Your Injuries

When a business knows that it is in a dangerous area, or where a business has had previous criminal activity occur on its premises, the business has a duty to its customers to take reasonable steps to protect them. This does not mean that the business has to guarantee the safety of its customers. However, the business should act reasonably. That may mean that the business should:

  • Install security cameras
  • Have better lighting
  • Install a better locking system on its doors
  • Post a security guard outside

These simple steps can prevent the customer from being victimized by the criminal and spare them from costly litigation when their negligence leads to injuries or deaths.

We represented one man who was shot in a local Bridgeport bar. We represented another man who was assaulted in the parking lot of his condominium complex. We hope that pursuing these types of cases in court will encourage businesses to protect their customers.

In many cases like this, property owners will act quickly to address any safety hazards. That means evidence can be lost. After you seek medical attention, contact us so we can begin looking into your case.

Contact Attorneys Who Will Protect Your Rights

For many years, we have represented victims of crime when they are attacked in these commercial, private and public locations. If you have been such a victim, talk to our premises liability attorneys for further information on your rights. Call 203-212-9075 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.

Personal Injury Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if I have a personal injury case?

If you are injured because of the fault or wrongful conduct of another person or entity, you may have the right to bring a lawsuit to recover money damages for your losses. Some examples of the types of incidents that give rise to personal injury claims include: car accidents, motorcycle accidents, falls, sexual abuse, workplace injuries, defective products, medical malpractice, legal malpractice and nursing home negligence. You should consult with a lawyer as soon as possible after your injury to determine whether or not you have a case.

How long do I have to file a personal injury claim or case?

Under the law, you generally have two years from the date of the injury to file a personal injury lawsuit that is based on the negligent conduct of another person or entity. The time limitation for filing a lawsuit varies, however, depending upon the nature of the claim. With certain types of claims, there are also notice requirements that must be met before you file suit. It is therefore always wise to consult with a lawyer as soon as possible after your injury to make certain that your case is not time-barred.

How long will my personal injury case take?

How long a personal injury case takes depends upon a number of factors, including how long you are required to be treated for your injuries, whether the responsible party contests how the accident happened or whether it caused your injuries, and whether the responsible party and his or her insurance carrier fairly evaluate your case. Typically, if a case does not settle, a case reaches trial approximately two years from the time that it is filed in court.

What damages am I entitled to claim in a personal injury case?

In Connecticut, you are entitled to claim two types of damages: economic and noneconomic. Economic damages are intended to compensate you for past and future out-of-pocket losses. These damages may include compensation for your medical bills, lost wages and loss of earning capacity. Noneconomic damages are intended to compensate you for the past and future effects of the injuries on your life. These damages may include payment for your pain and suffering, permanent disability and loss of enjoyment of your normal activities of daily living.

How much of my time will be required?

Unless your case goes to trial, the actual amount of time that will require your personal involvement in a personal injury case is relatively minimal. The initial office conference to discuss your claim usually takes about one hour. Follow-up conferences to check on your medical progress and to update you on your case generally take less time and can be done in the office or by phone. If a lawsuit is filed, you would likely need to come into the office to review and sign certain papers required under our court rules. You may also be required to answer questions under oath at a deposition, undergo a medical examination by a doctor selected by the other party and attend a pretrial conference at court.

How much will it cost to go forward with a personal injury case?

Under the law, attorney fees in personal injury cases are paid on a contingency fee* basis. This means the fee is paid at the end of the case and is calculated on the amount of the final settlement or judgment. The fee is 33.33 percent of the first $300,000 of recovery, 25 percent of the next $300,000, 20 percent on the next $300,000, 15 percent on the next $300,000, and 10 percent on any recovery over $1.2 million. In addition, any costs incurred for medical records, court filing fees, depositions, expert fees, etc., are deducted at the end of the case from the settlement or court judgment.
*Contingency fee is defined as payment to an attorney for legal services that depends, or is contingent, upon there being some recovery or award in the case. The payment is then a percentage of the amount recovered. You pay nothing unless payment/recovery is received.