Dehydration and Malnutrition

Human beings need adequate food and water to survive. People in nursing homes rely on the facility and their staff to make sure they are able to eat and are receiving proper nutrition and supplements. When nursing homes fail to do so, they can be held accountable for their negligence in a personal injury lawsuit.

If you have reason to believe your loved one is malnourished or dehydrated as a result of negligence or abuse in a nursing home, it is in your best interest to seek the advice of our experienced attorneys at Tremont Sheldon P.C.. We handle nursing home negligence cases in Bridgeport and throughout Connecticut, using our legal expertise, resources and trial skills to maximize compensation for our clients.

Signs of Dehydration and Malnutrition

It can be difficult for family members to notice signs of dehydration or malnutrition in their loved ones. If you have concern over the condition of your loved one, the following are some signs of dehydration and malnutrition to be on the lookout for:

  • Rapid weight loss
  • Dental issues
  • Memory loss
  • Yellowing of the skin
  • Flushed skin
  • Seizures
  • Trouble breathing
  • Dry skin
  • Diarrhea
  • Oral infections

Our firm works with professional experts to conduct thorough investigations into allegations of malnutrition and dehydration. This may involve interviewing other residents of the nursing home and former staff members to paint a picture of the procedures and oversight at the nursing home. If negligence or abuse is resulting in harm to your loved one, we will fight to obtain compensation for his or her pain and suffering and other damages.

Act Now to Protect Your Loved One

There are time limits for pursuing claims against nursing homes and other long-term care facilities. Additionally, malnutrition and dehydration can make other conditions worse, so it is in your family member’s best interest for you to call 203-212-9075 or contact us online for a free initial consultation with a lawyer.

Personal Injury Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if I have a personal injury case?

If you are injured because of the fault or wrongful conduct of another person or entity, you may have the right to bring a lawsuit to recover money damages for your losses. Some examples of the types of incidents that give rise to personal injury claims include: car accidents, motorcycle accidents, falls, sexual abuse, workplace injuries, defective products, medical malpractice, legal malpractice and nursing home negligence. You should consult with a lawyer as soon as possible after your injury to determine whether or not you have a case.

How long do I have to file a personal injury claim or case?

Under the law, you generally have two years from the date of the injury to file a personal injury lawsuit that is based on the negligent conduct of another person or entity. The time limitation for filing a lawsuit varies, however, depending upon the nature of the claim. With certain types of claims, there are also notice requirements that must be met before you file suit. It is therefore always wise to consult with a lawyer as soon as possible after your injury to make certain that your case is not time-barred.

How long will my personal injury case take?

How long a personal injury case takes depends upon a number of factors, including how long you are required to be treated for your injuries, whether the responsible party contests how the accident happened or whether it caused your injuries, and whether the responsible party and his or her insurance carrier fairly evaluate your case. Typically, if a case does not settle, a case reaches trial approximately two years from the time that it is filed in court.

What damages am I entitled to claim in a personal injury case?

In Connecticut, you are entitled to claim two types of damages: economic and noneconomic. Economic damages are intended to compensate you for past and future out-of-pocket losses. These damages may include compensation for your medical bills, lost wages and loss of earning capacity. Noneconomic damages are intended to compensate you for the past and future effects of the injuries on your life. These damages may include payment for your pain and suffering, permanent disability and loss of enjoyment of your normal activities of daily living.

How much of my time will be required?

Unless your case goes to trial, the actual amount of time that will require your personal involvement in a personal injury case is relatively minimal. The initial office conference to discuss your claim usually takes about one hour. Follow-up conferences to check on your medical progress and to update you on your case generally take less time and can be done in the office or by phone. If a lawsuit is filed, you would likely need to come into the office to review and sign certain papers required under our court rules. You may also be required to answer questions under oath at a deposition, undergo a medical examination by a doctor selected by the other party and attend a pretrial conference at court.

How much will it cost to go forward with a personal injury case?

Under the law, attorney fees in personal injury cases are paid on a contingency fee* basis. This means the fee is paid at the end of the case and is calculated on the amount of the final settlement or judgment. The fee is 33.33 percent of the first $300,000 of recovery, 25 percent of the next $300,000, 20 percent on the next $300,000, 15 percent on the next $300,000, and 10 percent on any recovery over $1.2 million. In addition, any costs incurred for medical records, court filing fees, depositions, expert fees, etc., are deducted at the end of the case from the settlement or court judgment.
*Contingency fee is defined as payment to an attorney for legal services that depends, or is contingent, upon there being some recovery or award in the case. The payment is then a percentage of the amount recovered. You pay nothing unless payment/recovery is received.