Nursing Home Neglect & Abuse

Does something seem “off” or “not quite right”? That feeling in your gut could be telling you something. You know your loved one best and you should never second-guess your instincts.

At Tremont Sheldon P.C., we understand how troubling it is to think that your loved one fears the people you have entrusted his or her care to. But it happens all too often. Our nursing home neglect and elder abuse attorneys work with families who have suspected neglect or abuse at nursing homes, assisted living facilities and other long-term care facilities.

If you suspect your loved one is being neglected or abused, every second counts. Call 203-212-9075 for a free initial consultation.

Pursuing Justice for the Victims of Neglect and Abuse

If your loved one is in a nursing home, it is important to be aware of the potential signs of abuse or neglect. These cases often stem from inadequate or improper care due to nurses or certified nurse’s assistants being overworked or improperly trained. In many nursing homes, the patient-to-nurse ratio exceeds the legal limit. Signs of neglect and abuse include:

  • Weight loss
  • Sudden changes in behavior
  • Overmedication
  • Mood swings
  • Nervousness
  • Unexplained broken bones

It is crucial to be on the lookout for these signs and symptoms because the victims are often unable to speak up or care for themselves. Unfortunately, these cases are on the rise among the aging population. As reported by the National Center on Elder Abuse, research indicates that more than 40 percent of people over the age of 65 will enter a nursing home before they die. Nearly one in three U.S. nursing homes were cited for violations of federal standards, and 50 percent of nursing home staff admitted to mistreating older patients.


While it may not be as noticeable as bedsores, fractures or bruising, overmedication is another form of abuse that is becoming more common, with Connecticut ranked in the top four states nationally from 2005 through 2010 in administering antipsychotics to residents without appropriate diagnoses, and it was the highest or second highest nationwide in antipsychotic use among high-risk residents during that period, according to federal data.

Please click here for the full article and the top Fairfield County overprescribing facilities.

Protect Your Family Members | Contact Tremont Sheldon P.C.

We are here to help. If you have reason to believe your loved one is in danger or if you have questions about your legal options for seeking justice, call 203-212-9075 or contact us online for a free initial consultation with our Bridgeport nursing home neglect lawyers.

Personal Injury Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if I have a personal injury case?

If you are injured because of the fault or wrongful conduct of another person or entity, you may have the right to bring a lawsuit to recover money damages for your losses. Some examples of the types of incidents that give rise to personal injury claims include: car accidents, motorcycle accidents, falls, sexual abuse, workplace injuries, defective products, medical malpractice, legal malpractice and nursing home negligence. You should consult with a lawyer as soon as possible after your injury to determine whether or not you have a case.

How long do I have to file a personal injury claim or case?

Under the law, you generally have two years from the date of the injury to file a personal injury lawsuit that is based on the negligent conduct of another person or entity. The time limitation for filing a lawsuit varies, however, depending upon the nature of the claim. With certain types of claims, there are also notice requirements that must be met before you file suit. It is therefore always wise to consult with a lawyer as soon as possible after your injury to make certain that your case is not time-barred.

How long will my personal injury case take?

How long a personal injury case takes depends upon a number of factors, including how long you are required to be treated for your injuries, whether the responsible party contests how the accident happened or whether it caused your injuries, and whether the responsible party and his or her insurance carrier fairly evaluate your case. Typically, if a case does not settle, a case reaches trial approximately two years from the time that it is filed in court.

What damages am I entitled to claim in a personal injury case?

In Connecticut, you are entitled to claim two types of damages: economic and noneconomic. Economic damages are intended to compensate you for past and future out-of-pocket losses. These damages may include compensation for your medical bills, lost wages and loss of earning capacity. Noneconomic damages are intended to compensate you for the past and future effects of the injuries on your life. These damages may include payment for your pain and suffering, permanent disability and loss of enjoyment of your normal activities of daily living.

How much of my time will be required?

Unless your case goes to trial, the actual amount of time that will require your personal involvement in a personal injury case is relatively minimal. The initial office conference to discuss your claim usually takes about one hour. Follow-up conferences to check on your medical progress and to update you on your case generally take less time and can be done in the office or by phone. If a lawsuit is filed, you would likely need to come into the office to review and sign certain papers required under our court rules. You may also be required to answer questions under oath at a deposition, undergo a medical examination by a doctor selected by the other party and attend a pretrial conference at court.

How much will it cost to go forward with a personal injury case?

Under the law, attorney fees in personal injury cases are paid on a contingency fee* basis. This means the fee is paid at the end of the case and is calculated on the amount of the final settlement or judgment. The fee is 33.33 percent of the first $300,000 of recovery, 25 percent of the next $300,000, 20 percent on the next $300,000, 15 percent on the next $300,000, and 10 percent on any recovery over $1.2 million. In addition, any costs incurred for medical records, court filing fees, depositions, expert fees, etc., are deducted at the end of the case from the settlement or court judgment.
*Contingency fee is defined as payment to an attorney for legal services that depends, or is contingent, upon there being some recovery or award in the case. The payment is then a percentage of the amount recovered. You pay nothing unless payment/recovery is received.