The files released last week by America's largest Catholic archdiocese revealed new and disturbing details about how church officials schemed to protect priests accused of molesting children. But was the scandal in Los Angeles really so much worse than in other places?
This article was a feature story in The New York Times Magazine last week. It speaks of victims of child pornography and possible restitution they may receive. The story features 2 victims and their struggles into adulthood. The detective spread out the photographs on the kitchen table, in front of Nicole, on a December morning in 2006. She was 17, but in the pictures, she saw the face of her 10-year-old self, a half-grown girl wearing make-up. The bodies in the images were broken up by pixelation, but Nicole could see the outline of her father, forcing himself on her. Her mother, sitting next to her, burst into sobs.
The Catholic priest busted for allegedly dealing crystal meth was suspended after church officials discovered he was a cross-dresser who was having sex in the rectory at Bridgeport's St. Augustine Cathedral. Monsignor Kevin Wallin was relieved of his duties in May, but the Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport had continued to pay him a stipend until his Jan. 3 arrest -- a day he was planning to fly to London on vacation. Now dubbed "Msgr. Meth" by some, Wallin seemed to live a life that easily could have been ripped from the script of "Breaking Bad," the popular AMC series about a high school chemistry teacher turned crystal methamphetamine producer. At one point, Wallin was selling upwards of $9,000 of meth a week, according to his indictment. In his post-priesthood, Wallin, 61, bought an adult specialty and video store in North Haven called Land of Oz that sells sex toys and X-rated DVDs. Investigators believe the shop helped him launder thousands of dollars in weekly profits.
A former Brookfield cheerleading coach escaped prison time Tuesday after he pleaded guilty to exchanging nude photographs with a 15-year-old Monroe girl he had been coaching. Standing before Superior Court Judge Richard Arnold, 31-year-old Manuel Batson apologized for his actions, but avoided looking at the girl and her mother seated a few feet from him in the courtroom. Batson, of Church Street in Ansonia, admitted sending nude photos of himself to the girl, but claimed he thought it was all right because she had told him she was already smoking and drinking. He pleaded guilty to risk of injury to a minor and was sentenced by Arnold to a three-year suspended term, followed by five years probation. The judge also ordered Batson to register as a sex offender and never again be employed where he would have unsupervised contact with children and teenagers.
The former boys swim coach at Staples High School in Westport was arrested Monday after police said he confessed to sexually assaulting two young girls for more than three years. Jeffrey Schare of Fairfield, who had been coach of the Wreckers boys swim and dive team for seven years, faces multiple sex charges. Students and staff at Staples High School, where Schare also taught math, were told in late November that he was leaving the school, but no reason was given reason other than "personal reasons." Schare, 43, began "grooming" the two girls when they were much younger, "promising favors such as food and sleep-overs as rewards for his deviant behavior," according to the arrest warrant affidavit. He began touching the girls inappropriately, and the offenses progressed from there: "A behavior he readily admitted to his wife, was a lust for younger girls, an urge that he could no longer control," the affidavit sates.
Increased public awareness of how child predators operate, along with better law enforcement and policies to protect children, may be helping to reduce child sex abuse despite this year's headlines about cases connected to institutions like Penn State, the Boy Scouts and the BBC. A recent report from the University of New Hampshire's Crimes Against Children Research Center found incidents of child sexual abuse have been declining in the U.S. for 20 years, with some statistics showing decreases as steep as 60 percent. The findings may be surprising given the high-profile cases in the news. But many of those incidents took place years, sometimes decades, ago. Ironically, experts say, publicity surrounding such scandals may help reduce the problem.
The following article was featured in the CT Post. Since the article was written the Parks and Recreation Commission voted unanimously to change the parks name on November 9, 2012. The article shows how difficult it can be for survivors of sexual abuse to come forward. The article is below. Ted Alexander Jr. always was the last one dropped off after Boy Scout meetings. The driver, his Boy Scout leader, would take the 8-year-old to a parking lot on Black Rock Turnpike and they would wrestle in the car. Sometimes, the man would shove Alexander's head into Toth's crotch. The man was Stephen Toth.
Although the two groups have more in common than not, experts say male sexual assault victims are often left to deal with certain issues that female victims might not face. Research suggests more than half of all sexual assaults in the United States go unreported. ........... Men represent a small but significant share of the nation's sexual assault victims. According to data from the U.S. Department of Justice's Bureau of Justice Statistics, 11 percent of sexual assault victims between 1992 and 2000 were male.
Leading drugmakers will help set up psychological centres for victims of child sex abuse in an effort to counter the long-term health problems suffered by victims. They are to j oin forces with Harvard Medical School, the Mayo Clinic and others to improve medical education and accelerate the early identification of victims. Sexual exploitation when a child can saddle a person with life-long illnesses and a range of mental problems. At least one in five girls and one in 10 boys are victims of sexual abuse before they reach the age of 18, but only one in three cases is reported, according to the International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children (ICMEC).
The pope accepted the resignation of a Chilean bishop who is under investigation by the Vatican for the alleged sexual abuse of a minor. The resignation of Bishop Marco Antonio Ordenes Fernandez of Iquique, Chile, marks one of the few times that the Vatican has acknowledged publicly that it was investigating a bishop for sex abuse allegations. Advocates for clerical sex abuse victims have long complained that the Vatican has looked the other way when bishops have been accused of abuse or of covering it up.