An East Windsor priest accused earlier this week of sexually assaulting a minor was arrested Friday on federal firearms charges. The Rev. Paul Gotta, 55, is charged with aiding and abetting both the unlawful transport of a firearm in interstate commerce and the purchase of a handgun by a juvenile, a news release from the U.S. Attorney's office stated. Gotta was placed on leave by the Catholic Church on Monday after the state Department of Children and Families received a complaint regarding the sexual abuse of a minor that involved him, said Maria Zone, spokeswoman for the Hartford archdiocese. He also was connected to the investigation of a teenager arrested in June on weapons and explosives charges, and who allegedly made a threat against a Bloomfield school. East Windsor police are investigating the sexual assault allegation against Gotta, who is administrator of St. Philip and St. Catherine churches in East Windsor, Zone said in a written statement.
Lesser known fact about Sigmund Freud - early in his career he was all but laughed out of his field for suggesting that sexual abuse within families was a significant social problem. To remain respected he recanted his findings. Toward the end of his career he went back to his original claims and backed them up, demonstrating that this ugliness was indeed not simply at the fringes of society.
An East Windsor priest has been placed on leave by the Catholic Church after being accused of sexually abusing a minor, the Hartford Archdiocese said Monday.
A University of Connecticut music professor who was placed on paid leave last month is under investigation by police amid allegations of sexual misconduct and decades-old molestation involving children, including several boys who attended a camp for sick children. UConn officials said Monday morning they were cooperating with the investigations. They also announced the creation of a special Board of Trustees committee to review the university's responses to the allegations against Robert Miller, 66, of Mansfield. University employees were notified several times between 2006 and 2011 of allegations that Miller had sexual contact with children, but it wasn't until February of this year that school administrators were told of the claims, according to UConn officials and the state attorney general's office. And it wasn't until June 21 that Miller was placed on paid administrative leave. It was also revealed Monday that the attorney general's office is seeking bids from a law firm to advise and represent UConn's Board of Trustees and that UConn has hired a private investigator. Miller was barred from the Storrs campus after being placed on leave. He hasn't been charged with any crime. He did not return several phone messages left at his home by The Associated Press. Last month, a faculty member told a university official that a student alleged that Miller had sex with UConn students, visited freshmen dorms and provided drugs to students, according to the state attorney general's office. It's not clear when those alleged actions took place. Miller has worked at UConn for three decades and was head of the Music Department from 1999 to 2003. Miller also has been under investigation by Connecticut state police and authorities in Fairfax County, Va., following allegations that he molested five boys, who ranged in age from 10 to 13 years old, more than two decades ago, according to a state police search warrant affidavit for Miller's home that was obtained by the AP. State police say four of the boys claimed they were molested at Miller's home in 1992. The boys at the time were attending the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp in Ashford, a camp that actor Paul Newman opened in 1988 for sick children. The alleged abuse happened when Miller, who was a counselor there from 1989 to 1992, took the children away from the camp on unsanctioned trips, authorities said.
A man claiming to have been abused while a student at Rogers Elementary School in the 1970s has prompted a new review of police reports at the school going back three decades. "I asked the City Law Department to contact Stamford Police to see if there is any record of any report of abuse," said Stamford schools SuperintendentWinifred Hamilton earlier this week in response to an advertisement in The Advocate and posted on Facebook by a man looking for other people who may have been abused while attending Rogers during the 1970s and 1980s. Hamilton said she saw the ad and consulted with the schools' human resources and legal departments, and then decided to reach out to police. "First we're going to go through our legal counsel," she said. "We need to see the credence of this so we can act on it, then we'd all be involved." Hamilton, who has been with the district for decades, including as a teacher, said she has no information on the allegations. This is not the first time allegations of child abuse at the old Rogers School have been raised. In 2010, a woman gave police the name of three boys who were allegedly abused by a teacher at the school during the same period, said Police Sgt. Sean Scanlan. "We could not find anything to substantiate the allegations," Scanlan said Friday. Police talked to all three men, who denied being abused at the school, which today houses Domus Trail Blazers Academy, Scanlan said. The police also pulled the personnel file of the teacher accused of being involved and found no evidence of abuse in the 300-page file, Scanlan said. The teacher has since retired and moved out of state.Contacted by phone, he said he did not abuse any children and had never been accused of such a thing. He also said he was never contacted by investigators in 2010. ....... While it was a long time ago, Scanlan urged anyone with knowledge of an act of child sex abuse to report the crime. He said in serious cases of child abuse, perpetrators can still be charged and tried even decades later. "The clock doesn't start until the crime is reported," he said of crimes deemed particularly serious. According to the state Office of Legislative Research, there is no statute of limitations on first-degree sexual assault of a minor, employing minors in obscene performances or for aggravated sexual assault. For second-degree sexual assault of minors between the ages of 13 and 16 by a person three years or more older, the crime must be reported within five years of when it happened. For child sexual abuse, exploitation or assault, criminal prosecution can occur up to 30 years after the victim reaches the age of consent. ..... The man who took out the advertisement looking for others who may have been abused while at Rogers Elementary School said in a phone interview that he was 10 years old when he was kept after school and raped by a teacher at the school. He is now 44 years old, and blocked out the worst of the memories for years, but recently began to confront his past, he said. He hopes that by coming forward now he can expose a person who might have done this to others and could still be doing it to this day. It's not uncommon for victims of child abuse to not report the crime until later in life, according to a lawyer who has worked on similar cases. "Children don't come forward," said Cindy Robinson, a lawyer with the law firm Tremont and Sheldon in Bridgeport. "They blame themselves." Robinson's firm represented a victim abused by a doctor at St. Francis Hospital in Hartford, and won a $2.75 million judgment that was upheld by the state Supreme Court on Wednesday. It was a stroke of luck that helped Tremont and Sheldon win its client's case: a couple who bought the doctor's former home found a massive stash of child pornography in the wall in the basement of the house, which provided documentation of the abuse. The firm sued the hospital for failing to prevent Dr. George Reardon from abusing its client over a period of several years. The child porn found in the house helped win that case, and proved that Reardon, who died in 1998 without being charged with any crimes, abused hundreds of other victims. The hospital has settled dozens of other cases with Reardon's victims. Robinson is not part of the alleged Rogers Elementary School case, but she said there are similarities to the St. Francis case, such as looking at whether the school district had proper policies in place to guard against abuse. She said many people do come forward seeking to file criminal charges as adults only to find out, due to the nature of the crime committed against them, that the statue of limitations has run out. They are, however, allowed to pursue a civil action until they reach the age of 48, in the state of Connecticut. Robinson said taking out advertisements is fairly new for victims, but is a way advocates and lawyers can find other victims to corroborate abusive behavior. As reported in Stamford Advocate by Rob Varnon
http://connecticut.news12.com/news/stratford-tutor-william-stewart-accused-of-offering-cash-for-kisses-1.5467098#autoplay=true Police say William Stewart offered money to two 11-year-olds in exchange for kissing him as reported by News 12. A 39-year-old elementary school tutor is facing charges this afternoon for allegedly offering students money for kisses in Stratford. William Stewart was arrested on Monday. Officers reportedly say two 11-year-olds at Chapel Street Elementary complained to a teacher about their tutor's so-called "kissing games." He allegedly offered them money and even an iPod.
The following article was published in the CT Post. The statistics from the report are troubling. Bridgeport's Mayor Finch is launching his own investigation. The article follows: Just a few sex offenders are apparently responsible for the dramatic increase in the number of forcible rapes in the city reported by the FBI's Preliminary Annual Uniform Crime Report. The FBI statistics, released Monday, showed the number of reported cases of forcible rape had tripled here to 388 in 2012 from 116 in 2011. This number was also three times higher than the combined number of rapes reported in Hartford, New Haven, Stamford and Waterbury in 2012.
A Catholic priest faces five years in prison after he admitted in Superior Court on Thursday that he had child pornography on his computer and chatted about sex on the Internet with underage boys. The Rev. Michael Miller, 43, of Berlin, pleaded guilty to possession of child pornography, obscenity and three counts of risk of injury to a minor before Judge Hillary Strackbein. He is expected to be sentenced July 9 to a prison term of 20 years, suspended after five, followed by 20 years of probation. He used church computers for some of the crimes, his lawyer, William St. John, said outside the courtroom. But St. John said his client was never accused of touching boys. "He's extremely remorseful," St. John said. "There are a lot of people who love this guy." He wouldn't let the priest talk to the media. Miller will never function as a priest again, said Maria Zone, spokeswoman for the Archdiocese of Hartford. He was a pastor at St. Paul Roman Catholic Church in Berlin, and his victims were church members, students at the church's school or both. He was suspended from public ministry as soon as police told the church about the allegations, Zone said. According to a warrant for Miller's arrest, a woman contacted police on July 2, 2011, after learning about a Facebook conversation the priest was having with her 13-year-old son. The priest commented that some professional wrestlers had "nice butts," the mother said. She looked up past Facebook chats between the two and learned that the priest had made comments about the boy being in puberty and about how the priest is "addicted to porn" and pleasures himself, the warrant states. The priest also invited the boy to come over and watch a "dirty movie" so they could "have some fun," and also wrote in "extreme detail" about sex acts he would perform on the boy, the warrant says. Miller was arrested on July 11, 2011. Police also learned about a 16-year-old victim from a social worker. After interviewing that boy, police learned that the priest had emailed to the teen -- from a church computer -- videos of an unknown person masturbating, according to prosecutor Christian Watson and court documents. Investigators later identified more teens with whom Miller had inappropriate Facebook chats during an computer analysis conducted at the New Britain Police Department. There were seven all together. They learned that Miller called another teen -- a 15-year-old, according to another warrant -- "sexy," and also told the teen that he engaged in sex acts with members of the priest's soccer team, Watson said. Miller told another juvenile that he was bisexual, the warrant states. That boy told police that the priest started out talking about online video games, school and sports, but gradually moved on to sexual topics. The computer examination also turned up five pornographic videos of children, including one with boys ages 6 to 10 performing sex acts on each other and another involving a younger girl and an adult. Miller was arrested again on June 14, 2012. In a joint statement, the archdiocese and Miller's order, the Franciscan Friars Conventual, said Miller's guilty pleas follow "many months of personal deliberation, reflection and prayer. During this time, Miller has received medical treatment and undergone therapy. "We hope that Miller's plea will give some solace and closure to the minors he violated -- and their families. We will continue to pray for them so that they will continue to heal from this regrettable experience." The Hartford Courant, Christine Dempsey
A Newtown man is facing sentencing for sexually assaulting a 4-year-old girl and taking photos and video of the abuse. Twenty-nine-year-old Edward Wilson is to be sentenced Wednesday in federal court in Hartford. He pleaded guilty in February to producing child pornography and faces 21 to 26 years in prison under federal sentencing guidelines.
The following has been taking out of excerpts from several letters to the editor from different organizations around Fairfield County including The Center for Women and Families of Eastern Fairfield County, Family and Children's Aid and Women's Center of Greater Danbury. The news media provides us with daily reminders that child sexual abuse is real, and it happens close to home as evident by the recent allegations of the fencing coach in Fairfield, Connecticut or watching famous pitcher R.A. Dickey explain his childhood abuse on 60 Minutes. It is difficult to accept that sexual abuse is a problem in our community, but if we want it to stop, we have to acknowledge it, and we have to talk about it. Ending child sexual abuse is possible, but it will require all adults to educate themselves, have early and ongoing conversations with children, and model healthy behaviors. Child sexual abuse thrives in silence.