A blind spot is an area around a vehicle that its driver cannot see. While your car, truck or SUV likely has a few blind spots, the space between the rear of your vehicle and its side mirrors is a common one. If a car or motorcycle is in this space when you change lanes, you may inadvertently cause an accident.
Blind spot collisions are more dangerous for motorcyclists than they are for drivers. Because most bikes do not offer much protection for their riders, a rider may sustain life-threatening injuries in a blind spot crash. Fortunately, drivers and motorcyclists can work together to minimize the risk of blind spot collisions.
What drivers can do
For drivers, the first step in preventing a blind spot accident is to identify the vehicle’s areas of poor visibility. To do so, simply sit in your car and take note of places you cannot clearly see. Then, pay special attention to these zones every time you turn or change lanes. Taking the following steps may also help you avoid a serious collision with a motorcycle in your blind spot:
- Adjust your vehicle’s rear-view and side mirrors to reduce blind spots
- Keep all car windows clean and free from obstructions
- Use your turn signal before merging or crossing lanes
- Glance over your shoulder before changing lanes
What motorcyclists can do
Because motorcycle riders have an increased risk of injury in a blind spot collision, they should also take steps to prevent an accident. If you ride a bike, these actions may prevent an accident:
- Ride in a driver’s blind spot only long enough to pass the vehicle
- Wear brightly colored or reflective clothing to increase your visibility
- Maintain a safe distance between your bike and other vehicles
- Turn your headlights on
- Use your blinker before changing lanes or making turns
If traffic is moving quickly, blind spot collisions rarely end well. Put simply, whether you are a driver or a motorcycle rider, you have a role to play in reducing accident risk. To avoid a disastrous accident, you must take this obligation seriously.
At this time, it is more important than ever to work with an experienced personal injury attorney. At Tremont Sheldon Robinson Mahoney P.C., we understand the challenges you face, and we will be there to advocate for you and your loved ones every step of the way.