Fighting For Justice And Achieving Results Since 1960
Legal team of Tremont Sheldon P.C.

Must a car accident be reported?

On Behalf of | Feb 17, 2017 | Car Accidents, Firm News, Personal Injury |

Being in a car accident is no fun. Even if the individual involved feels he or she came out OK, there’s the after effects of the adrenaline that no doubt flooded the person’s bloodstream, not to mention the possible need to repair or replace the vehicle. Then, the realization may hit that it also means having to deal with an insurance company and possibly even the court system. It may sometimes seem like it’d be better, assuming the vehicle is still operational, to drive off and try to forget it happened. There are however, several reasons that make this course of action a bad idea in most cases.

First, Connecticut requires that all accidents that result in over $1,000 in property damage be reported within five days of the occurrence. There is also a distinct possibility that injuries might have been suffered that have not yet manifested themselves. Damage to the neck and back, in particular, may not be apparent for several days. In these cases, not only is there a cost to repair the vehicle, there will also be medical costs incurred by the accident victim.

Because of this, it is almost always a good idea to report a Connecticut car accident. The easiest way to do this is to contact law enforcement from the scene. Officers can file an official state report form which can then be provided to an insurance company in support of a claim. When the accident was due to another driver’s negligence or recklessness, this report may also help with any legal case that may be forthcoming.

Most car accident cases settle before trial, which means that there will be some kind of payout for the damages suffered. This usually comes from an insurance company that is covering one of the drivers, and will help compensate an accident victim for his or her loss. Every case is different, however, and individuals who have been in an accident may wish to consider contacting an experienced Connecticut injury attorney.



FindLaw Network