Fighting For Justice And Achieving Results Since 1960
Legal team of Tremont Sheldon P.C.

Injured in a store? How will you get compensation?

On Behalf of | May 31, 2016 | Firm News, Premises Liability |

Slip-and-fall and trip-and-fall accidents in stores are all too common. And while these cases often appear straightforward, they rarely are. The store and its insurance carrier will likely fight to deny or undervalue the injury claim.

Learn about your rights if you are injured by a fall in a retail establishment. It’s important to understand the challenges you may face if you try to handle the matter on your own.

What happens in slip-and-fall accident cases?

People who slip and fall may suffer injuries ranging from injured joints and broken bones to head injuries and spinal cord injuries. Some of these injuries leave accident victims with months or years of pain and disability, while a severe traumatic brain injury can result in a coma or death.

When these types of injuries occur, you will need compensation for medical expenses, lost wages and benefits, and pain and suffering. To fight the store’s insurance company for adequate compensation, you will most likely need a lawyer’s help. Typically, to obtain compensation, you need to prove that the property owner did not maintain safe premises. This includes proving that they were aware of the hazard, or should have been aware of it, and that they did not take steps to fix it.

People can be injured in any type of store or retail property, including: grocery stores, gas stations, warehouses and price clubs, discount retailers and home improvement stores. Each type of property has its own risks such as:

  • Spills
  • Falling objects
  • Cracked pavement
  • Broken floor tiles
  • Ripped carpet or floor mats
  • Power cords

Whatever the reason for your accident, if the store’s owner failed to address the problem, you may be able to sue for damages. If you have questions, speak with an attorney.



FindLaw Network