We Help After an Accident or Abuse

The personal injury attorneys of Tremont Sheldon Robinson Mahoney have recovered more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements. Est 1960.

We Help After an Accident or Abuse

We Help After an Accident or Abuse

The personal injury attorneys of Tremont Sheldon Robinson Mahoney have recovered more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements. Est 1960.

We are open and ready to help…

We have modified our office to help with social distancing. We are able to see clients inside or outside the office, or by video or telephone conference.

Courts are beginning to reopen, and insurance companies are resuming normal business. We are here for you and happy to help with insurance issues, medical bills and everything else.

We are open and ready to help…
We have modified our office to help with social distancing. We are able to see clients inside or outside the office, or by video or telephone conference.
Courts are beginning to reopen, and insurance companies are resuming normal business. We are here for you and happy to help with insurance issues, medical bills and everything else.

Over $70 Million

Awards and settlements collected for child victims of sexual abuse across Connecticut involving priests, clergy, teachers, coaches and family members.

$6.2Million

Landmark verdict holding an off-duty police officer responsible for failing to prevent a fatal drunk driving accident.

$6Million

Recovered award for family after proving the medical manufacturer knew about the faulty oxygen machine that killed a patient.

$5.39Million

Won settlement for truck accident victim by taking the case before the superior court after trucking company filed for bankruptcy.

$2.1Million

Largest verdict in Connecticut history involving serious injuries after a motorcycle accident.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Sexual Abuse
  4.  » 
  5. Clergy Sexual Abuse
  6.  » Hartford diocese Found Negligent in Abuse Case

A jury determined Friday that the Catholic Archdiocese of Hartford should pay $1 million in damages to a former altar boy who was sexually abused by a priest decades ago, ruling that the church was reckless and negligent in allowing a known pedophile to have access to children.

The decision, reported by the Hartford Courant, followed about three and half hours of deliberations by the Superior Court jury in Waterbury. The victim, identified in his lawsuit as Jacob Doe, was abused by Father Ivan Ferguson in the early 1980s when Doe was 13 to 15. During the weeklong trial, he presented evidence that church officials had allowed Ferguson to have contact with children despite admitting earlier that he had sexually abused other boys.

Doe said the verdict is an important part of his healing process. “This predator was placed in a position where he could harm me and my friend,” Doe said. “I’m hoping that other victims can begin their healing process, and the church does the right thing going forward.” The victim’s father, a former church deacon, said the verdict represents a new beginning for his son. “Now he can start to heal. It’s off his shoulders,” Doe’s father said. Ferguson, who died in 2002, was the principal of St. Mary’s grammar school in Derby when he befriended and abused Doe and Doe’s best friend. In December 2005, the archdiocese agreed to a $22 million settlement with 43 people who claim they were abused by Ferguson and 11 other priests since the 1960s. An attorney for the archdiocese, John Sitarz, agreed with Doe’s lawyers on the nature of the abuse, which he called despicable. But he argued during the trial that Ferguson was allowed to resume contact with children only after experts at a church clinic concluded he could control his sexual attraction to boys. Sitarz had no comment on the jury’s verdict. Associated Press February 10, 2012