It’s Serious To You, And It’s Serious To Us

   Your trusted partner in Personal Injury cases in Connecticut since 1960.  Let us help you handle It.

The Bridgeport personal injury attorneys of Tremont Sheldon P.C.

More Than $500 Million Recovered In Verdicts And Settlements

At Tremont Sheldon P.C., we work hard to maximize results.

Over 120 5-Star Reviews

Award Winning Personal Injury And Sexual Abuse Attorneys in Bridgeport

Why Choose Tremont Sheldon P.C.?

Our attorneys have more than 100 years of combined experience representing victims of child sexual abuse, accidents and injuries caused by the fault of others. Our firm only handles personal injury cases; We understand the ins and outs of these cases. As a result, we have a history of proven success against insurance companies, hospitals, schools, churches, and other negligent parties. Our 4 award-winning attorneys and staff will handle every aspect of the process and keep you informed in a transparent, respectful, and caring manner. Our office is big enough to have resources and support to achieve maximum recovery for your case, but small enough to provide personalized service.

Tremont Sheldon P.C.'s attorneys smiling and talking around a table

We’re Here For You

personal injury

Personal Injury

Wrongful death, falls, nursing home neglect and abuse, dram shop and more.

auto accidents

Auto Accidents

Accidents involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, pedestrians, bicyclists, buses and more.

sexual abuse

Sexual Abuse

Teacher and school abuse, church and clergy abuse, coach abuse, counselor abuse, campus sexual assault and other child abuse.

workers compensation

Workers’ Compensation

All workplace injuries, including heart and hypertension claims and more. 

medical malpractice

Medical Malpractice

Birth injuries, surgical errors, misdiagnosis, and more.

Dog Bites

Dog Bites

Dog bite injuries, dog bite-related scars, emotional stress and more.

Seeking Justice And Helping You Every Step of the Way

The healing process can be a long road, but our attorneys at Tremont Sheldon P.C., are here to help you through it. No amount of compensation can undo what has happened whether you were in a serious motor vehicle accident or sexually abused as a child by a trusted adult. Oftentimes, these events can cause permanent physical and emotional damage. Filing a civil suit can help you achieve justice, hold the person or institution accountable, and/or provide you with answers and possibly some closure. It isn’t always easy, but you will have compassionate and experienced trial lawyers who will fight for you.

The firm's support staff smiling at the camera in front of a fireplace

Real People. Real Lawyers. Real Results.

When you suffer an injury, it’s serious. It’s serious to you, and it’s serious to us. We care about your recovery and attaining justice. We know how important it is for you to feel heard. That’s why we focus on providing a personalized service for each of our clients, building relationships that last beyond the end of a case. When you call our office, you will always speak to someone who knows you – not a call center or a robot. Your attorney and team are always available to answer your questions and address your concerns. From your first phone call to the conclusion of your case, you’ll be in the hands of lawyers who genuinely care.

What Makes Us Unique

Our life experiences at our firm make us better attorneys and more empathetic to our clients. We are parents and grandparents, we have lost loved ones, we have been caretakers of ill family members, we have had surgeries, we have experienced misdiagnosis, and have been in car accidents.

A photo of the outside of the firm's office building

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Know if I Have a Personal Injury Case?

You may have the right to bring a lawsuit to recover money damages for your losses if you were injured or harmed by another person or entity. You should consult with our lawyers as soon as possible after an injury to determine whether or not you have a case.

How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury?

In Connecticut, you generally have two years from the date of your injury to file a personal injury lawsuit that is based on the negligent conduct of another person or entity. The time limitation varies, however, depending on the nature of the claim.

What Are My Legal Rights if I Was Sexually Abused as a Child?

Most victims who claim damages for sexual abuse, sexual assault or sexual exploitation as a child can file a claim up to 30 years past the age of abuse (typically until the age of 48) in Connecticut. Those who are abused after October 1, 2019 have until they turn 51 years of age to bring a claim.

However, if you claim damages as a result of being sexually assaulted as an adult, then you have a much shorter time period in which to file a lawsuit. Typically, you have three years from the date of the assault to file against the perpetrator for his or her intentional acts and two years from the date of the assault to file against any other person or entity (e.g., perpetrator’s employer) who may have been negligent in allowing the perpetrator to have contact with you.

What is the Fee in a Personal Injury Case?

Under Connecticut law Sec. 52-251c, attorney fees in personal injury cases are paid on a contingency fee* basis. This means the fee is paid at the end of the case and is calculated on the amount of the final settlement or judgment.

*Contingency fee is defined as payment to an attorney for legal services that depends, or is contingent, upon there being some recovery or award in the case. The payment is then a percentage of the amount recovered. You pay nothing unless payment/recovery is received.

Is the money from a personal injury settlement taxable?

Typically, any monetary remedy that an offending party pays to you for either physical sickness or physical injuries is tax-free. Let’s assume that you have paid out $50,000 in medical expenses due to injury and you settle with the offending party for $50,000. In this case, you would not pay any taxes on that $50,000 remedy.

The exception to this is if you have deducted the $50,000 from your income taxes on a prior tax return. In this event, the settlement becomes taxable. Monetary remedies for mental anguish and distress work the same way, provided that the anguish and distress relate directly to the injury and you have not deducted expenses related to anguish or distress on prior tax returns. However, if these monies are not related directly to an injury but instead to injury to reputation, this money is taxable.

Seeking Justice and Helping You Every Step of the Way