Workplace Injuries

When a worker is hurt in the course of employment, the person is entitled to make a claim under workers' compensation laws.

The workers' compensation attorneys at Tremont & Sheldon have a long history of fighting for the rights of workers and of maximizing the recoveries for their injuries from all available sources. Tremont & Sheldon has been recognized as a leader in workers' compensation throughout the state of Connecticut. We can help with hurt at work lawsuits in CT.

Help With Workers Comp Lawsuit in CT

Most employers are required to provide workers' compensation coverage. The injured worker is able to make a claim for payment of medical expenses and can also receive partial payment for lost time from work. The coverage provides for both temporary and permanent disability benefits. For most workplace accidents, workers' compensation insurance provides the sole means of recovery. However, when the accident is caused by the fault of someone other than the employer or a fellow employee, the injured worker may have a right to sue in court.

It's important that you get help after your injury at work. Please contact the workers' compensation lawyers at Tremont & Sheldon to evaluate your case. We'll help you determine if it's in your best interest to sue your employer for your injury and guide you through what to expect with your injury lawsuit in CT.

If you are a uniformed member of a paid municipal fire department or a regular member of a paid municipal police department who was hired before July 1, 1996, you may qualify for benefits under Connecticut's Heart & Hypertension Act (C.G.S. Sec. 7-433c). Please refer to the information under workplace injuries common questions with regard to the Heart & Hypertension Act.

Related Links

Common Questions About Workplace Injuries

  • How do I know if I have a workplace injury case?
  • If you are injured at work, or develop symptoms of an occupational disease because of your job, you may have the right to file a workers’ compensation claim against your employer. If your spouse or parent dies as a result of a work injury or an occupational disease, you may also have the right to file a workers’ compensation claim as a dependent of that person. In order to determine whether you do or do not have a case, you should consult with a lawyer as soon as possible after your injury.

  • How long do I have to file a workers' compensation claim?
  • Under the law, written notice of a claim for workers’ compensation must be given within one year from the date of the accident or within three years from the first manifestation of a symptom of an occupational disease. If death occurs within two years from the date of the injury or first manifestation of a symptom of an occupational disease, written notice is required within the two-year period or within one year of the date of death, whichever is later.

  • How long will my workers' compensation case take?
  • How long a workers’ compensation case takes to process depends upon a number of factors, including how and when your injury occurred, whether the injury is causally related to your work, the severity of your injury, whether you need surgery, how long you are out of work, and the extent of any permanent disability that you incur. Typically, a workers’ compensation case takes less than one year to complete.

  • more...
  • How much will it cost me to pursue a workers' compensation claim?
  • Attorney’s fees in workers’ compensation cases in Connecticut are handled on a contingency fee basis* and are subject to the approval of the Commissioner. The usual fee that is charged is 20% of any contested benefit, disability award, or final settlement, plus any costs incurred for medical reports, deposition fees, etc. These fees and costs are not deducted unless and until there is an award or settlement.

    *Contingency fee is defined as payment to an attorney for legal services that depends, or is contingent, upon there being some recovery or award in the case. The payment is then a percentage of the amount recovered. You pay nothing unless payment/recovery is received.

  • What benefits am I entitled to receive?
  • If you are injured in a work-related accident, you are entitled to receive benefits, calculated on the basis of 75% of your average weekly after-tax earnings, for the time that you are medically unable to work. If your injury results in a permanent impairment, you are also entitled to recover benefits for that permanent loss, based upon a statutory table. In addition, if your injury prevents you from earning the same amount that you were able to earn before your injury, you may be able to recover workers’ compensation benefits for a portion of that loss.

  • What is the Heart & Hypertension Act?
  • If you are a uniformed member of a paid municipal fire department or a regular member of a paid municipal police department who was hired before July 1, 1996, you may qualify for benefits under Connecticut's Heart & Hypertension Act (C.G.S. Sec. 7-433c).

    Under this Act, firefighters or police officers who successfully pass a pre-employment physical examination which fails to reveal any evidence of hypertension (high blood pressure) or heart disease and later become disabled by one of these conditions, are presumed to have suffered that condition in the performance of their duties, whether or not it happened on the job.

    Once these eligibility requirements are met, you are entitled to two separate and distinct benefits:

    1. Compensation benefits and medical care in the same amount and manner as that provided under the Workers' Compensation Act.

    2. Retirement or survivor benefits from the municipal or state retirement system.

    You must file a claim for benefits under the Heart & Hypertension Act within one year. Claims for heart disease usually have a clear date from which to file, e.g., a heart attack. Claims for hypertension, however, are not as clear as there is not a specific event that triggers the onset of that condition. Generally, if you are diagnosed by your physician with hypertension, or are placed on medication for hypertension, or have repeated high blood pressure readings, you should file a claim as soon as possible.

    Tremont & Sheldon has a proven track record of successfully representing firefighters and police officers on Heart & Hypertension Act claims and has collected millions of dollars for them. Please do not hesitate to contact Attorney Robert Sheldon with any questions or concerns about whether you qualify for benefits under this law.

Contact Us Today

I have read the disclaimer.


This form will send an e-mail message to Please complete each field and press the send button. Notice: please READ BEFORE SENDING YOUR EMAIL. We appreciate your visit to our web site and your interest in contacting us by email. First, however, we need to give you this important message: any information you send by email via this form is not protected by the attorney-client privilege and is not confidential. Therefore your email should not include confidential information. Second, sending any information to the firm through this website will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the firm. Therefore, nothing you tell us is privileged or confidential, and the firm is not restricted in using any information you send for any purpose, including using it on behalf of any of the firm's clients. If in doubt about whether any information is confidential, please exclude it. By clicking the "Submit" button below, you indicate that you have read and understand this Notice and agree to each of its terms and conditions. Thank you.

Office Location

64 Lyon Terrace
Bridgeport, CT 06604


In State Toll Free:

Email   |   Map & Directions