Motor Vehicle Accidents

Motor Vehicle Accident Lawsuits

Our law firm has been protecting the rights of people injured in car, truck, and motorcycle accidents for more than 50 years. We understand that after you have been injured in a car accident, you can quickly find yourself with more questions than answers. We’re here to help.

Taking the Time to Learn Your Case

We carefully monitor all aspects of your case and review the details with our medical experts to get you best possible recovery. Our track record is impressive, with millions of dollars for our clients over the years. Most importantly, we always take the time to get to know our clients, to uncover all of the facts, and to give you a realistic idea of what to expect.

Related Links

Resources - Motor Vehicle Accidents

Common Questions About Motor Vehicle Accidents

  • How do I know if I have the proper auto insurance?
  • Tremont & Sheldon repeatedly reminds and educates our clients regarding the importance of having appropriate auto insurance coverage. Over and over again, we see clients who are left unprotected with inadequate insurance. Tremont & Sheldon would like to share with you the 7 DOs and DON’Ts for selecting the best auto insurance protection for your family as set forth by the Coalition for Insurance Justice:

    1. DO understand your policy. Can you answer the following questions?

    a. What is the amount of my Bodily Injury/Liability (BI) coverage?
    b. What is the amount of my Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) coverage?
    c. What can I do to obtain Conversion Coverage or Double UM?

    2. DO increase your UM/UIM coverage, if possible.

    We always hear people tell us that they have purchased umbrella insurance coverage, yet they do not know their UM/UIM limits. While umbrella, excess, and BI coverage protects you if you cause an accident, it affords no protection if an uninsured or underinsured motorist injures you. The only way to protect yourself is to increase your UM/UIM coverage and request Double Coverage. Example: If you have $300,000 BI and $300,000 UM, request Double UM coverage and increase your UM limits to $600,000.

    3. DO purchase Underinsured Motorist Conversion (UIMC) coverage.

    UIMC coverage guarantees that you and your family will be afforded the full extent of the coverage you purchased, no matter how much is recovered from the driver who caused the collision. Otherwise, the amount that you receive from the other driver will be deducted from your coverage. Example: At-fault driver pays out to injured person his $20,000 limited policy. Injured person has limited $50,000 without conversion. Injured person can only make claim for remaining $30,000 in coverage (50,000-20,000 = 30,000). With conversion coverage, injured person can make a claim for $50,000. If the injured person had Double UM, he will have $100,000 of coverage in addition to the $20,000 received.

    4. DON’T be cheap — be smart.

    A few dollars saved can result in inadequate coverage, which basically is no coverage at all. Although the law only requires limits of $20,000 worth of coverage per person and $40,000 worth of coverage per accident, such limits are woefully insufficient to cover the costs resulting from serious injury. Remember to purchase the maximum amount of insurance that you can afford as it is money well spent.

    5. DON’T “write down” your UM/UIM Motorist Coverage.

    Always reject any offer to reduce your UM/UIM coverage to below the amount of your BI coverage.

    6. DON’T be left without medical coverage.

    The law no longer requires you to purchase No-Fault or medical benefit coverage. However, if you do not have health insurance coverage, you should still purchase this optional coverage in order to protect yourself. If you do have health insurance, the premium for this coverage may be better spent increasing your UM/UIM limits.

    7. DON’T think “It won’t happen to me”.

    Unfortunately, Tremont & Sheldon has seen many situations where clients have been injured by uninsured or underinsured drivers and these clients have had inadequate UM/UIM coverage. Hopefully, you will never need it, but be smart and protect yourself.

  • How long do I have to file a personal injury claim or case?
  • Under the law, you generally have two years from the date of the injury to file a personal injury lawsuit that is based upon the negligent conduct of another person or entity. The time limitation for filing a lawsuit varies, however, depending upon the nature of the claim. With certain types of claims there are also notice requirements that must be met before you file suit. It is therefore always wise to consult with a lawyer as soon as possible after your injury to make certain that your case is not time-barred.

  • What is the difference between criminal and civil cases? Is there a different burden of proof?
  • Many people know that the burden of proof (or evidence needed to prove the case) in a criminal case is beyond a reasonable doubt. Criminal cases require a very high standard because being found guilty of a crime is at stake as well as the potential to go to jail. In a civil case, no one is accused of a crime and cannot be found guilty. Instead, the question in a civil case is whether a person was negligent and responsible for damages to another. The burden of proof in a civil case, for example a motor vehicle accident, is lower (easier to prove) than in a criminal case. The standard is “more likely than not” the person was at fault or proof of just over 50% to win the case.


Contact Us Today

I have read the disclaimer.


This form will send an e-mail message to Please complete each field and press the send button. Notice: please READ BEFORE SENDING YOUR EMAIL. We appreciate your visit to our web site and your interest in contacting us by email. First, however, we need to give you this important message: any information you send by email via this form is not protected by the attorney-client privilege and is not confidential. Therefore your email should not include confidential information. Second, sending any information to the firm through this website will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the firm. Therefore, nothing you tell us is privileged or confidential, and the firm is not restricted in using any information you send for any purpose, including using it on behalf of any of the firm's clients. If in doubt about whether any information is confidential, please exclude it. By clicking the "Submit" button below, you indicate that you have read and understand this Notice and agree to each of its terms and conditions. Thank you.

Office Location

64 Lyon Terrace
Bridgeport, CT 06604


In State Toll Free:

Email   |   Map & Directions