$6 Million to Family of 48-Year-Old Woman Who Died From Faulty Oxygen Machine

A 48-year-old woman was having a simple gall bladder operation at the hospital when the new oxygen machine stopped working and her lungs were literally blown out. A simple 5 cent plastic disc that sat at the end of an oxygen machine could have prevented this tragedy. The disc was supposed to open to relieve excessive pressure on the patient's respiratory system. The valve was made in such a way that the little piece of plastic could fall into the main works and cut off the air exhaust. Tremont Sheldon Robinson Mahoney was able to find three similar occurrences under the same circumstances with the same type of machine in New Mexico, Maryland, and New Jersey. Tremont Sheldon Robinson Mahoney hired world-famous experts and was able to establish that the machine itself was dangerously designed, and that British Oxygen, the manufacturer, knew of the problem but hid it from the medical community. As a result of that case, in addition to recovering $6 million for the plaintiff, British Oxygen changed its design to a safer machine.

Related Links

- Defective Products Legal Services
- Medical Malpractice Legal Services

Back