Events all month long promote cycling as viable transportation. Many schools participate in National Bike to School Day on May 15, an event that encourages children to give this healthy form of commuting a try. National Bike to Work Day is May 16, an event that has become competitive in many communities as they drive to drive their ridership rates up every year.
Here are some other guidelines from the League of American Bicyclists' Smart Cycling Program:
- Bike with the flow of traffic and obey traffic signs and signals.
- Yield when entering a roadway.
- Yield when changing lanes.
- Do not pass on the right.
- Position properly at an intersection (in the right most lane that goes to your destination).
- If riding on a sidewalk, ride at a walking pace and stop or yield at every driveway and intersection.
- Use hand signals when changing lanes, making a turn, or stopping.
Enjoy all that the biking season has to offer!